It’s common for women to struggle with Upper Belly Fat, a small fatty deposit located in the abdomen for fertility purposes and ovary cushioning and protection; however, the upper abdomen can carry excess fat, too. Belly fat in the upper abs often comes from visceral fat, which actually lies beneath your abdominal wall and pushes out your abs. This type of fat is especially dangerous, but it responds to diet and exercise modifications that help improve your physique and health.
Steps To Reduce Upper Belly Fat With Exercises
Losing weight from the upper abdomen requires a holistic approach – exercise, healthy diet, and focus on lifestyle changes. Before starting this process, calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) and Waist Circumference (WC) to know your status better.
1. Exercises To Lose Upper Belly Fat
These exercises do not focus on spot reduction but help strengthen your core, aid inch loss, and tone your body.
a. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
This is an excellent exercise for the entire body. It is not only effective for weight management and preventing obesity, but it also improves your cardiorespiratory health. There are 12 poses in Sun Salutation.
b. Plank Hold
Target: Upper belly, thighs, and arms.
- Lie down on your stomach with your knees bent and feet on the ground.
- Bend your elbows and place your forearms on the ground. Align your elbows with your shoulders.
- Align your feet with your hips.
- Tighten your core and glute muscles. Lift your abs and hips off the ground. They should be aligned with your shoulders.
- Flex your hips forward and hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Practice these 3 rounds with 30 seconds of the hold.
c. Bicycle Crunches
Target: Abdomen, hips, and obliques.
- Lie down on your back. Relax your entire body.
- Place your hands behind your head. Interlock them just above your neck.
- Bend both the knees and bring them close to your belly.
- Lift your shoulders and head. Straighten your left leg and bring your left elbow close to your right knee. Bring your left leg back to your belly.
- Simultaneously, straighten your right leg and bring your right elbow close to your left knee. Bring your right knee back to your belly. This completes one set
- Do 2 sets of 20 reps each.